The programme aims at contributing to the consolidation of peace and the reduction of poverty by creating a quick and visible "peace dividend". The specific objective is employment and income generation and the revitalisation of the economy in the eastern provinces (North and South Kivu, Maniema) and around the capital city Kinshasa.
The programme specifically targets low income population groups in the most instable regions, where the risk of a relapse into conflict exists.
The Fund is set up as an “open” programme; the activities are determined by the project proposals submitted by eligible recipients from the civil society (national and international NGOs, church- and professional organisations) and are funded through grants.
Activities in the following sectors are eligible for funding:
- Agriculture: Rehabilitation of arable land, multiplication of seeds, erosion prevention, irrigation etc.;
- Economic infrastructure: Rehabilitation of roads, rural roads, markets;
- Social infrastructure: Rehabilitation and equipment of schools and health centres, water supply & sanitation;
- Labour-intensive construction: Water and sanitation, rehabilitation of roads, waste collection.
The “ligne particulière” (LP) has been added to implement additional projects in the provinces of North and South Kivu (in particular Rutshuru territory). Its focus lies on supporting peace building efforts in regions of the DRC which have in recent years been particularly affected by violent clashes.
Individual projects are funded in the following areas:
- Rehabilitation/reconstruction of economic infrastructure, such as rural roads, small bridges, markets, installations/devices for the transformation and increase in value of staple products, preferably through the use of high-intensity labour;
- Rehabilitation/reconstruction and equipment of social infrastructure, such as schools, health centres, water supply & sanitation systems;
- Agriculture and lifestock production, such as set-up of seedbanks (in particular for resistant varieties), irrigation systems, erosion prevention, basic machinery and storage warehouses, modern and sustainable food crop cultures;
- Training in the sustainable and profitable management of the funded infrastructure and agricultural production;
- Technical supervision of the road Obokote-Punia, which is implemented in Maniema by the Welthungerhilfe in the framework of the programme “Reintegration II”.
The projects are implemented by various contractors (private businesses or NGOs).